Welcome! Please have a look around, and feel free to leave any comments on my posts, review my book, or share my blog with others. Also, I'm interactive: follow me on Twitter @smober.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Off To A Good Start, Now Just Have to Keep It Up

On the Anderson Cooper show today, Amanda Hocking was a guest.  I had never watched the show before, but I decided to tune in after I heard she was going to be on it.  She talked a lot about self-publishing, rejection, and determination to accomplish ones goals.  Her goal was to be published by the time she was 26 (the age when Stephen King was first published), and when traditional publishers rejected her more than 1,000 times (she claims), she took matters into her own hands and self-published through Amazon, just like I'm doing.

She mentioned about when her books were first up that she was selling one or two copies a day, which she says, in retrospect, is pretty good for a first-time author.  This gives me a lot of hope, because I've been selling an average of fifteen copies a day.  I'm worried it might be a fluke, that it'll slow down or stop altogether soon, but I'm enjoying it now and determined to keep it going and increasing.  I also know that there are a lot more Amazon Kindle owners now than there was a year and a half ago when Hocking first published her work, which is to my advantage.  I remember hearing somewhere that there were more than a million people who received Kindles for Christmas last month.

Hopefully, this isn't a fluke- Over the last three days, I kept hearing the phrase "the cream will rise to the top."  I hope I'm cream; I'm certainly pale enough to be.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment