Welcome! Please have a look around, and feel free to leave any comments on my posts, review my book, or share my blog with others. Also, I'm interactive: follow me on Twitter @smober.

Friday, April 27, 2012

Working for Yourself

The last few days, I've been thinking a lot about who I try to please. I find that, sadly, I tend to get so bent on impressing those who have put me down in one way or another that I don't always realize how many people support me. It's kind of sad.

But I'm done with that. It's so futile and pointless. For example, I wrote something a while back, got tons of positive feedback on it, but there was one person who thought it was terrible. That one person was the one opinion that rang loudest in my ears, even though I didn't have strong emotional ties to that person and they have minimal knowledge of the subject of the piece. So why did I put so much importance on one negative opinion instead of the dozens of positive opinions?

I think that most of us have this unattainable desire to please everyone. We all have a tendency to listen to the naysayers over the YAYsayers, even when the latter far outnumbers the former. I know I sometimes get distraught when I can't please everyone, but why?

Everyone is different, and there's no pleasing everyone. There is nothing that will universally please all people, period. The more people that see your work, the more fans you'll gain, but that also means you'll hear more negativity- it just comes with the territory. If you reach fifty people, you might get one that hates your work; if you reach five thousand people, you might get a hundred people who hate your work.

We shouldn't work to please the naysayers, we should do what we do to please ourselves and the yaysayers. Besides, if we try to please everyone, it'll eventually drive us crazy and burn us out.

Do what you love, and do it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment