Welcome! Please have a look around, and feel free to leave any comments on my posts, review my book, or share my blog with others. Also, I'm interactive: follow me on Twitter @smober.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

"Tonight we are young, so let's set the world on fire, we can burn brighter than the sun."

Yesterday I spent the entire day in Labor and Delivery, but my nephew still has not yet made his grand appearance into the world.  He'll be here soon, though, and I can't wait to meet him!  I'm so excited because I'm also expecting a niece this month, too!  She should be here within a week, and I am incredibly anxious to meet her, too!  It'll bring the count up to five nieces and two nephews, and I love being an aunt.  <3

Yesterday, Davy Jones died.  I was saddened, but pleasantly surprised that so many people my age knew who he was.  But while sitting in L&D and hearing about Jones's passing, it got me thinking about the circle of life (cue Lion King theme, please).

 Go ahead, turn your volume all the way up because I KNOW you're going to sing along.

Anyway, now that we've watched that video, back on topic...  No matter what happens, life goes on.  We are born, get older, we grow, we change, we experience, and eventually, our time runs out.  There's a Garth Brooks song with some of the best lyrics I've ever heard.  It goes:
"There's two dates in time that they'll carve on your stone
And everyone knows what they mean,
But what's more important is the time that is known
As that little dash there in between."
I've said it before, but time goes quickly.  Things happened before we were born, and after we die, things will continue to happen.  The world will go on- we're really just here to visit.  Our job is to make the best of the time we have, to live in each day as though it were a grand adventure, because in truth, life really is the greatest adventure there is.  There's no script, no set outcome, nothing written in stone, no way to predict what will happen.  Life is what you make it: good or bad, blissful or miserable.  I know that when I die, the sun will rise again; laughter will continue, joy will continue, and people will keep growing and experiencing.  My children and grandchildren (if I'm blessed enough to have them) will carry on, as it's supposed to be.

I don't want this post to sound morbid, because it isn't.  Life is a glorious and gorgeous thing, precious in every way, and positively astounding.  We shouldn't live in fear of death, because there are things far worse than death- like an unlived life.

Think about what people wish for when they're on their deathbeds- it's not more money, more things, a better job, or fame; they wish for more time, more memories, more opportunities to tell those in their lives how much they love them.  What are the most valuable things in life?  They're the things that can't be bought or sold, thing that no price tag will ever fit on.  For me, the most beautiful things are the unadulterated sand on the beach coupled with the cool feeling of the frigid waves on my bare feet, sharing a joke with friends, my one-year-old niece's laughter, the smiles on my family's faces, hearing a good song for the first time (or the millionth time), Christmas breakfast where we're all still in our pajamas and enjoying one another's company, playing board games, running around with the dogs, and so many other little thing you'd never be able to put in a store window.  Those are the most amazing things in life, and I know when I'm old and senile and can't remember whether or not I'm wearing underwear, those "little" things are the ones that will shine biggest in my memory and in my heart.

So thanks for reading, but now, I think you should get off the computer for a little bit- go and enjoy something special about life.  Take a deep breath outside and enjoy the fresh air (offer void in the cities of Los Angeles and New York) and take in a little wonder.

Love the song, but I don't know how I feel about the video- is it supposed to be a bar fight or just goofing around?


P.S.- I'm loving how my zombie novel   
is coming out.  I can't wait for everyone 
to be able to read it! I hope you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment